The mechanic Carl Eduard Kraft (Karl E. K.) established his own workshop in Vienna in 1824. His son Wilhelm Kraft took over (probably by marriage) the workshop Sadtler. After 1854, the production was branded Kraft und Sohn. The company mainly produced mining-measuring compasses, meteorological instruments, the Horsky planimeter, pantographs and other tools, which are sought after by collectors today. The company sold 2,150 pieces of plane table of its own design, 1,650 peep-sight alidades and 1,850 pieces of the so-called universal levelling device with a compass and vertical circle (segment) were produced.
The company was supplying equipment for the most important railway constructions of the monarchy. It is worth mentioning the fact that in 1847 the well-known civil engineer and railroad pioneer Alois Negrelli built a triangulation using Kraft devices within the unsuccessful international Anglo-French-Austrian commission and produced the project documentation for the construction of the Suez Canal. After his death in 1858, Ferdinand de Lesseps bought the plans and documentation; The canal was opened in 1869.